How to (not) get rekt by Weakness Hunters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to (not) get rekt by Weakness Hunters

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Tue May 05, 2015 4:15 am

Hey all I hope you like my short guide ^-^

We all know that weakness hunting is shamed, right? but still a lot of people do it in Conquest, each person who does have different reasons. So how do I get myself to put up a good fight against a weakness hunter/ not get rekt by a weakness hunter.

#1: Get a pokemon with good movepool. Gallade for example has a very good movepool, normal types have good movepools also. The sense of getting pokemon with good movepool is to counter the type you're weak against. ex: running Giga drain on Volcarona to counter against Ground/Rock types which you are primarily weak against if you're a Fire Warlord

#2: Get Some Fast Offensive Mons. Speed and Power is important in them current meta game and its advisable to run pokemon like wallbreakers or set up sweepers. Ex: letting Volcarona set up for about 2 Quiver Dance. With the +2 its almost impossible to outspeed Volcarona and with a +2 it would be hard to wall against it

#3: Get a hazard remover. Getting either a rapid spin or defog is fine. Setting up hazards is important so its also good to get a hazard remover since you dont want your Volcarona to get to 50% HP left once it gets out of the pokeball when there is Stealth Rock in the field. All types have hazard set up so running one is good, well unless you would run Hyper Offense Team

#4: Get yourself a Hazard Set up, its actually good to set up hazards against your opponents to make it easier to sweep through the opponents team

#5: Outplay your opponent, out predicting/outplaying your opponent is very vital for when the opponent out predicts you all the 4 above are almost useless

#6: After the battle, review what happened, what you did wrong/what you need to replace/better options for your team. Of course you cant change teams during mid conquest so take them in a note and change them afterwards

#7: Have Fun in the battle ofc

You can add any suggestions helpful for this Guide
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to (not) get rekt by Weakness Hunters

Post by Dragonite99 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:24 pm

I like this guide! It's helpful!

A tip I'd like to add is don't be overconfident! Most players in CQ are comfortable and familiar with the Monotype metagame. Some players will act as if they are better than everyone and trash-talk everyone. Don't be that person! Be confident, but don't brag. Also, try not to over think your opponents' strategies while predicting.
Dragonite99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePeahen on Tue May 05, 2015 10:31 pm

I agree with option 1, the others are just normal battle strategy. ou<
But really, choose Pokemon wisely. Not just for their movepool. While Emolga on a Flying mono can help against Electric,
it has no attacks to hit Electric types, making it useless.
Skarmory, on the other hand, destroys a handful of Rock mono teams, if it runs Iron Head. Most Rock Pokemon can't touch Skarmory, with a few exceptions, of course.

Last edited by TheWanderingArtist on Wed May 13, 2015 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I need to stop writing posts when half asleep. u~u;)

PurplePeahen

View user profile http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chleg on Wed May 06, 2015 12:09 pm

In my opinion, Defensive > Offensive UNLESS you are using Hyper Offense. Defensive gives your offensive Pokemon time to sweep when the time gets right. However, Offensive doesn't normally give any synergy to the core, unless it's with an ability. However, by all means use Defensive and Offensive Pokemon, also known as balanced. This keeps your team kept up to sweep and break down and defend when times get tough.
Chleg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Galom on Wed May 06, 2015 2:22 pm

Really, the trick to beating your weaknesses (and really any Pokémon battle, but especially here) if you're playing offensively is to:

1) Ensure that you have a check to all of your weaknesses (your win condition)
2) Sack Pokémon in-battle to protect your win condition when you have to
3) Play aggressively with your win condition, bringing it in whenever you can to get a kill, be it on double-switches or sacks

An example would be a Psychic Team with a Scarf Victini that is playing against a Bug team. In order to win, the Psychic player should recognize that Bug has absolutely nothing to take a V-Create, so he should:
-Lead with Victini and click V-Create. This will get a kill.
-Sack a Pokemon to whatever comes in to RK Victini.
-Bring Victini back in and get another kill.
-Repeat.
-Do whatever it takes to keep Hazards off the field, even if it means foregoing your own hazards.

Hazards of your own would be very nice for the Psychic player in this battle, as Bug hates them and it would break sashes for Victini, but they aren't as important as keeping Victini at high HP and out of range of priority attacks, like Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack. Since Victini will be switching in and out a lot, it will get worn down to pickoff range very quickly.

The Psychic player should not play this like it is a normal match. Its Pokemon will get easily defeated at face value due to the type disadvantage, so he should essentially abuse Scarf Victini to win him the day. All his other Pokes should be seen largely as death fodder, and just a means to reset Victini's stat drops.

This situation appears in many type matchups. It's important to learn to recognize your win conditions in order to protect and abuse them, which is essentially how you win any Pokémon battle.

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trivia's Hornets on Thu May 07, 2015 1:31 am

yeah, it's hard to balance weakness covering moves with just plain coverage, but if you do find that balance, you're usually good to go. for instance, if you had a volcarona with giga drain, bug buzz, fiery dance and quiver dance, you pretty much can't touch a flash fire heatran or chandelure. i run into problems with both of these pokemon and the only way to beat them is to just play around them and like galom said, sacrifice a few pokemon just to get the KO.
Trivia's Hornets

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabre on Fri May 08, 2015 12:02 am

I would add the tip: "Be unexpected." A team with really unorthodox members might catch someone off guard of the usual strategy for the type.
An example would be Fairy, which generally follows a bulky attacking strategy. Often, you will see a Klefki, Azumarill, Sylveon, Clefable, Gardevoir for knights, etc. Sometimes, some team members can be really unexpected but provide a good niche in your team. A good example is my Fairy team, which has no Azumarill or Klefki, but has a Granbull. Granbull has intimidate, which checks my low Defense, and high Attack and HP, giving me a good backup Physical sweeper. People might not know how to deal with a Granbull, so it could potentially get at least one KO.

ff7 is a good game
Sabre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lux Gracetail on Fri May 08, 2015 11:53 am

Alright. This is annoying, somewhat. My computer crashed while I was trying to type up my first version of this post, and due to the current time, I will most probably leave this second version incomplete, with perhaps an outline.

Most of the things I would have liked to raise, have been covered by other posters in this thread. But I note a certain lack of elaboration upon defensive principles in anti-weakness play.

The first thing I would like to raise, is most probably obvious. The use of dual typing, especially immunities. Immunities, are like a trump card in anti-weakness play, capable of nullifying an attack which would have otherwise been a costly price to pay. E.G, Sableye nullifying a Fighting move against a MonoDark, or Heatran nullifying a Fire move against a MonoSteel.

Secondly, I would like to raise the point that teampicking should not be entirely based upon a good movepool, but also on their second typing, and their stats. One such example of this could be seen to be Swampert. Swampert has a good movepool, allowing it to serve its purpose as a pivot, lead, mega (I'm assuming it does, but I have little to no experience with Swampert as a mega), it has a decent stat distribution, and it has a useful secondary typing, ground, which provides MonoWater with an immunity to one of its weaknesses. These things combined, make Swampert an effective member of quite a few MonoWaters.

I note there is no emphasis on Pokémon which are able to tank attacks, or wall them.

Nnngh, sorry, I'll end this here for now, I need sleep.

A Lucario in a longcoat. . .  How dangerous could he be?

Credit to Blue Kitteh for the Official Staff Banners and credit to Irraquated for the personal banner.

Lux Gracetail

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chleg on Fri May 08, 2015 5:34 pm

However, there is a backfire to Lux's secondary typing, and that is types that can't do that.

For example, Ice can't deal with most of it's types. So how does Ice defeat any of their weaknesses?

Let me explain, Ice is an offensive type, so it has to defeat it's types offensively instead of defensively.

For example :
Mamoswine = Covers Ground, Rock, Steel (Use it.)
Jynx = Fighting (Underrated)
Abomasnow = Covers Ground, Rock

However, there is one exception for Ice, and that is Milli (Froslass). Froslass has a clear Fighting immunity and can easily Thunder Wave, Taunt out Rocks and all that shit.

What I'm saying is..

1. If you can't cover your advantage defensively, take advantage of that and take your weakness down offensively.

2. Use shit that are viable, for example don't use Emolga in Flying mono because it has an Electric immunity, Emolga is useless in all other uses.
Chleg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Galom on Mon May 11, 2015 9:07 am

Lux Gracetail wrote:Alright.  This is annoying, somewhat.  My computer crashed while I was trying to type up my first version of this post, and due to the current time, I will most probably leave this second version incomplete, with perhaps an outline.

Most of the things I would have liked to raise, have been covered by other posters in this thread.  But I note a certain lack of elaboration upon defensive principles in anti-weakness play.
Disagreeing with this post. Defensive play against your weaknesses is not something that every type can do. I understand that you're a Steel main and they have an adequate switch-in to all their type weaknesses, but Steel and Flying are the only two types that have that. It should not be encouraged in most match-ups, especially with types like Fighting and Bug.

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chleg on Wed May 13, 2015 12:35 pm

And Water. :3
Chleg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content