How To Not Godmod/Powerplay

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How To Not Godmod/Powerplay

Post by Neon Nights on Sat May 23, 2015 10:57 pm

Even with all these warnings, I feel like people don't get the point. Off we go...

Powerplaying

OK. I feel like saving Godmodding for last, and focus on powerplaying.

Powerplaying is controlling another's character.

Plot: ZapZap The Pikachu was looking for berries, so was Ember The Charmander. They accidentally grab the same berry, and have a battle over who gets it.

ZapZap ran at Ember. "Volt Tackle!" Ember got paralyzed and couldn't move. "Agh! I can't move!"

No, ZapZap! You completely took control of Ember! Ember is his character, not yours!

Let's see a better example.

The Pikachu lunged towards Ember. His body was enveloped in electricity, trying to deal a blow. "Volt Tackle!"

Now this gives Ember the freedom to decide if he was paralyzed by the hit or he dodged quick enough. Note the 1-3 rule, where you can dodge 3 attacks in a row, but you must take the next one after.

EDIT: This is example of Powerplaying, but in CQ.

Steel Lord: He was crammed over his small study table, opening his massive book. His metal scythe hung over his back, as his beloved Lucario leaned against a wall, meditating.
Ground Lord: Ground Lord walks over to steel. "OPEN UP!"
Steel Lord: His Lucario sensed an interruption, opening the gates by aura.
Ground Lord: Kicks the gates "Open or I'll explode it with my fist!"
Steel Lord: With a loud bang, his book closed, as he and his Lucario strolled towards the Ground Lord.
Ground Lord: Makes the gates explode with his fist

First, weakness hunting. I know, disgusting. But this is about Powerplaying, not Weakness Hunting.

Second, He made the gates EXPLODE. "But Neon, it's just a gate!" Well, yeah, it is. It would be fine if he made his gates explode, (even though I don't know why you would) but he made another's gates explode. Also, he was ignoring steel.

Godmodding

Godmodding is overly powering your character.

Plot: One night, Jet The Floatzel was lost in a flood, ending up in the forest where he could be in danger. He meets Weedy the Oddish, who knows about his home. They go on a perilous adventure to find his place, where he belongs.

Jet followed Weedy, with an aching feeling inside him. "Weedy, is this alright?" He moaned, as some kind of light was between the vines, trees, and the debris.
She smiled, with a determined expression on the Oddish's face. "Of course! Unless we move into a Victreebel or two. You touch that acid, you're gonna melt..."
Jet was even more worried. Imagining a monster lowering him into the acid that might end his life. Victreebels are scary--whatever that is. "What do the- MURF!" A vine ensnared his foot, as he was dragged away.
Weedy frowned. "Don't worry! It's just the evolution ritual of Beeeleesprroutt!" Her voice trailed off, as a vine wrapped it's green, snaky, string along Weedy's body.
Jet squeezed open his eyes. He was tied to a leaf on a large tree, unable to move. A Fletchling was being lowered into the steamy, bubbling, acid of a Victreebel. They were yellow, bell-like and had a few leafs extending from their body.
Weedy turned to Jet, also tied to a leaf. "The Victreebel use the pokemon they melt and compress it into a substance that Weepinbells can eat. That substance passes on to Bellesprouts, who sleep until they evolve. After all of the Bellesprouts evolve, Weepinbells wait in line to evolve into Victreebels."
Jet stared down to the floor, as small, weed pokemon like Weedy were dozing off peacefully. A Weepinbell inserted his needle-like point into the Bellesprouts' mouths, as they evolve into Weepinbells. "You made that sound more happier than it is."
A Victreebel grabbed Weedy, ready to send her down his acid. "Absorb!" A green light tugged at the Victreebels, and she dodged every attack they threw at her. She absorbed the HP of them, and they all died.

Well. That was long, but long story short: Jet and Weedy are dragged away to be victims at an evolution ritual. Before Weedy becomes Pokemon Food, she breaks free, dodges every single attack by the Victreebels, Weepinbells and Bellesprouts, then kills them all with a single absorb. It's just unacceptable; it should be impossible for Weedy, who is an Oddish, to avoid all attacks from about 50 pokemon and kill them all with such a low-power move.

There. Your guide to Godmodding and Powerplaying. Kids, never do it.

Neon, out.

Last edited by Neon Nights on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:00 pm; edited 4 times in total
Neon Nights

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How To Not Godmod/Powerplay

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Thu May 28, 2015 4:22 am

I think you should rename the thread, for a second I saw the title I got shocked to see that there was a guide to godmod, my reaction to the title: what? why the heck are you teaching how to godmod?!?!
But I see the main point of view here, nice topic btw (y)
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Neon Nights on Fri May 29, 2015 1:53 am

Okay, changed to "How To Not Godmod/Poweplay for viewer pleasure.
Neon Nights

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePeahen on Fri May 29, 2015 9:52 pm

While you gave good examples, I think it would be better to explain powerplaying. There was only an example, nothing more. Although I understand your point, others may not. :P

PurplePeahen

View user profile http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by needler on Sat May 30, 2015 6:40 pm

CQ RANT ALERT, STAND BACK.

So, your example of godmodding is fairly simple and it looks like it fits into FR. Also, I've not seen anyone godmod that much. But... back to the actual thing. Powerplaying in conquest.

I see this a lot in CQs, by a lot I mean every single rp:

Steel lord: rps normally, describing his charcter and his kingdom greatly.
Ground lord goes to steel kingdom "Steeel looord! Open or I'll bust in!"
Steel lord: Gates would be open for the ground lord
Ground lord "I said open!" kicks door
Steel lord: He got up and walked towards the gates
Ground lord makes the gates explode with his fist

To the first thing: Weakness hunting, yes it's disgusting.
Next one: We could see the ground lord go to the steel kingdom, cut off the steel lord's rp while weakness hunting him and ignore all of steel's messages. Then blow up/bust/destroy their gates.

Powerplaying isn't only when you control someone' character, it also includes controlling someone's kingdom in cq, pokemon in another rp or anything that they own/control in the roleplay.

needler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum