Ari Rants About New OC

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ari Rants About New OC

Post by chezdragonofepicness on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:48 pm

I personally find the Bipolar thing and the no parents a little cliche, But other then that you're doing fine.
Although the "Can be cheery one minute" And the hates happy things kinda contradict each other.
chezdragonofepicness

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ari (S.Ninetales) on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:07 pm

Galom wrote:
AxeBane wrote:Just 'cause a few issues have come up doesn't mean the whole OC's down the drain. Hell, I gave one of my OCs a complete re-working simply because someone pointed out that their core aspect was flawed. It was a Touhou OC, and their ability was to inflict phantom symptoms of any known disease... This was later changed to something as simple as being able to detect illness, and sorta become the Absol of the Touhou universe. Anywho, I'm trailing off! The point is, that these seemingly major speedbumps could possibly be easily fixed with a bit of effort.
No, I think that's exactly what Morfent was getting at. People are way too quick to slap on "special powers" to their OCs. Whenever I make an OC, I stay away from them. I always follow laws of physics, logic, and the Pokemon world. There's no need to "embellish" your OC with unnecessary flashy superpowers and dark edgy backstories. If you think they make the character seem original, that's simply not the case. It just makes them seem OP, idealized, and Mary Sue/Gary Stu-ish. Your "superpower" will just null every plot line ever, since you can just wish away any issue. It will make it hard for you to get a plot going, and make others not even want to RP with you since they know you're just going to try and solve the problem before they get a chance to RP it.

TL;DR: Giving your OCs special powers and a dark past is unnecessary, unoriginal, and only detracts from the character and your experience while RPing as them. I highly recommend you stay away from them.

I'm confused. I guess this OC isn't turning out like I hope it would. I wanted it to stand out. Different then other OCs. I guess it isn't going to happen.
Ari (S.Ninetales)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AxeBane on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Galom wrote:
AxeBane wrote:Just 'cause a few issues have come up doesn't mean the whole OC's down the drain. Hell, I gave one of my OCs a complete re-working simply because someone pointed out that their core aspect was flawed. It was a Touhou OC, and their ability was to inflict phantom symptoms of any known disease... This was later changed to something as simple as being able to detect illness, and sorta become the Absol of the Touhou universe. Anywho, I'm trailing off! The point is, that these seemingly major speedbumps could possibly be easily fixed with a bit of effort.
No, I think that's exactly what Morfent was getting at. People are way too quick to slap on "special powers" to their OCs. Whenever I make an OC, I stay away from them. I always follow laws of physics, logic, and the Pokemon world. There's no need to "embellish" your OC with unnecessary flashy superpowers and dark edgy backstories. If you think they make the character seem original, that's simply not the case. It just makes them seem OP, idealized, and Mary Sue/Gary Stu-ish. Your "superpower" will just null every plot line ever, since you can just wish away any issue. It will make it hard for you to get a plot going, and make others not even want to RP with you since they know you're just going to try and solve the problem before they get a chance to RP it.

TL;DR: Giving your OCs special powers and a dark past is unnecessary, unoriginal, and only detracts from the character and your experience while RPing as them. I highly recommend you stay away from them.

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm trying to say, mate. I'm not saying to add any fancy powers, or to make them more "unique"; what I'm trying to say is that things can easily be changed to something similar, but far less... "horrible" seems wrong in this context, but I'm going to use it anyway, because it's a powerful word. .w.~
AxeBane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morfent on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:52 pm

I'm confused. I guess this OC isn't turning out like I hope it would. I wanted it to stand out. Different then other OCs. I guess it isn't going to happen.
You can make an OC stand out, but there are better ways of going about it than this. Special powers and angst are so commonly used to make them stand out that they're usually not memorable. Just having a realistic backstory and personality and adding minor but unique traits would make a memorable OC.

Morfent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkness (Umbreon) on Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:26 am

I liked the description about your OC. Very detailed, and it has a lot to say about her.
8/10

Take me for a spin, take it easy, make it redline, make it whine. Make it so we are hitting the high 90's. Make it so we are screaming our lungs out with joy as they get filled with the very smoke from the burning rubber. Do that, and we'll be great friends.

Darkness (Umbreon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by That one lurker on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Your OC doesn't seem too bad, the backstory doesn't matter too much unless you make it matter and I'll assume that the non-matching eyes is because she's part cat. I can't judge it too much without seeing it used, sorry.

That one lurker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LinkTheLeafeon on Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:22 am

I Like this OC, 10/10 mate, I would like to RP with this OC Soon, as a other OC of course
LinkTheLeafeon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ari (S.Ninetales) on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:11 pm

Darkness (Umbreon) wrote:I liked the description about your OC. Very detailed, and it has a lot to say about her.
8/10

Thank you so much! Very Happy

LinkTheLeafeon wrote:I Like this OC, 10/10 mate, I would like to RP with this OC Soon, as a other OC of course

Thanks. I guess I'll be RPing with you, sometime soon? :p
Ari (S.Ninetales)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top