Troll Happy Hour: Getting the Staff's Attention During the Time

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by bote on Sun May 31, 2015 4:35 pm

This article will help you, a regular user, learn how to correctly notify your fellow staff about a troll. Now you may be asking “Bote, don’t we do that already?” or “Bote, what if AC is on?” or “Bote, when are you going to get a better name?” and hopefully this article will answer all of those question (besides the last one)!

“Bote, don’t we do that already?”
Yeah you do but it’s not effective. Here is what is currently being done:

This is cringe worthy. It doesn’t help us do our job any better, and it doesn’t even solve the problem. Also by saying this, you are giving the troll the attention he wants.

Anyhow, there are 3 potential ways of going about this:

Highlighting
Stating in chat “[Staff Username], [Troll Username] = Troll” (Or something similar)

Note: PMing a staff member will prevent you from being muted.

This will personally always get my attention, as it effectively highlights the staff, and tells them what the problem is AND who is doing it. This is important because not everyone has 'troll' or 'mods' highlighted, but some variation of their name usually is. It also prevents staff from having to scroll up and look for the troll themselves, because while some trolls may be rather flashy, others may blend in. The easier you make our life, the easier we make sure you get your safe and wonderful Roleplaying room.

PMing A Staff Member
Pming [Staff Username] “Hey, [Troll username] is trolling”

PMing is also a great method to grab a staff member’s attention. You are informing a staff member of who and what. If they don’t respond to highlights, this may be the better option. Staff members (like me) tend to get notifications if they're on a different tab, or their eye is drawn to the box when it pops up. They may not respond for a few moments if they're busy, so be sure not to spam their PMs!
If you see the examples being used above publicly, DO NOT post a message/send a pm containing a similar message. 20 Highlights/PMs don't change anything if we already have 5 Highlights/PMs.

Getting A Global
Now here is how you do this properly.

››  : Step 1 : Go into the Help Room.
››  : Step 2 : PM A Global. STAY CALM! DON'T FREAK OUT! THEY LIKE TO HEAR A CALM PERSON, NOT A PERSON FREAKING OUT LIKE THIS!!!!
››  : Step 3 : Wait for your Global to arrive and fight the evil trolls!

How to correctly PM a Global

How to INcorrectly PM a Global

Eventually we will set the modchat to Autoconfirmed if there are enough trolls, which you can usually get past by switching to your main (autoconfirmed) account then switching back. However:

"Bote, What if Modchat: Autoconfirmed IS on?"
This is a tough and common issue nowadays, because most trolls have AC accounts (or at least the ones we keep on seeing). Your best bet is to go grab a global. And to quote Jasmine:

Jasmine wrote:If a troll continues to troll during autoconfirmed please report this to a global immediately. Ideally I would need to know who this user is and every alt they are using at the time [Assuming you know], as I am then able to remove their autoconfirmed names from the system.

Global Staff
Below you will find a list of Room Staff, who currently have a global rank:

Room Drivers (%)
None

Room Moderators (@)
@Beowulf

Room Owners (#)
%Articuno
%Crestfall

@Former Hope
~Jasmine*

*These users are not always available, so coming to them should be a last resort.
You can also find a list of many of the global staff of PS here.

I hope this guide helps you understand how to help out the staff when it comes to dealing with trolls.

Last edited by bote on Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
bote

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Troll Happy Hour: Getting the Staff's Attention During the Time

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Sun May 31, 2015 11:55 pm

Yup yup, panicking is a bad thing while remaining calm is the best way to get a solution

Also, not all staff are always available even if they're online so patience is a key, but of course set a time limit (about 4-5 minutes), after the time limit and they haven't arrived at the room it is advisable to call another global because you probably don't want the troll to rant for 30 minutes.

also if a troll comes you shouldn't speak or say anything, just take it to the pms imo so that the bot can mute the troll for spamming, probably the troll had done a whole lot already though xP
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crash, Most OP Cranidos on Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:13 am

Thanks for putting this up, Bote. I believe if people give the trolls too much attention, the trolls will keep returning.

All the trolls really want is attention, and if we deprive them of that, i'm pretty sure they won't be coming back.
Crash, Most OP Cranidos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fire blob bomb on Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:43 am

Um hate sound like a complete and utter newbie (oh wait, I am new here *face palms, slapping noises*) but what exactly is a troll? (Once this is answered feel free to delete it by the way)

fire blob bomb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bote on Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:21 am

fire blob bomb wrote:Um hate sound like a complete and utter newbie (oh wait, I am new here *face palms, slapping noises*) but what exactly is a troll? (Once this is answered feel free to delete it by the way)
This is the definition we are looking at.
bote

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Drew Huss on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:24 pm

I laughed at the Huey Lewis part.
Drew Huss

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nebulous on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:16 pm

I'm going to bump this, because we keep getting raided by those shitty 4chan trolls.
Nebulous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Colora on Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:18 pm

I totally support the bump, but I feel most of the members who do these sorts of things rarely have a forum account, let alone participate
Colora

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 13InHeaven on Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:52 am

Good to have this guide, now I know how to tell the mods and thingies. xD
13InHeaven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Sponsored content