[CQ RMT] [Steel] Insert Edgy Title Here

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[CQ RMT] [Steel] Insert Edgy Title Here

Post by Mukyuuri on Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:27 am

Hey, here’s a steel team I’ve been using for a while. It works pretty well for all purposes, from what I’ve tested of it.

Auburn (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Magnezone is an amazing pivot. Its high-ass Sp.Atk means that it can do some pretty hefty damage to anything, and the scarf ensures that it’s going to outspeed most +Spe pokemon below 115 base speed, and noSpe pokemon below 130 base speed. Its Magnet Pull also allows it to take care of pesky Steel Types, which this team struggles with otherwise.
Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are there to become the primary STAB choice; Thunderbolt also gets a bonus for taking down Water types, the bane of my team. HP Fire is to annihilate steel-types that Magnezone traps. Volt Switch is for keeping momentum, and dealing a hefty amount of damage while switching.

->
Redwings (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Here we go, the main man(?) of the team. In fact, I based this team around M-Scizor, since I haven’t seen a lot of M-Scizors in CQ, as the legend/mega spot is usually taken by Heatran or Dialga. This set takes advantage of M-Scizor’s immense natural bulk (seriously, 70/140/100 is nothing to sneeze at, especially with Bug/Steel typing) and amazing Atk.
Bullet Punch is there to become the highly spammable priority STAB move of choice. Superpower is basically working against this set’s principle (get more boosts then sweep), but it’s valuable for taking out things that resist Bullet Punch. Swords Dance gives its already good Atk an immense boost, and Roost is there to improve its longevity by a lot, requiring your opponents to 2HKO M-Scizor at the very least, which isn’t something easy to do.

Napoleon (Empoleon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Premier special wall, and my other go-to lead for hazard setting. It also works as a counter to most fire-types, as it’s the only member of the team that’s neutral to fire.
Scald is there for attacking Fire types, and also for spreading burn to other pokemon. Ice Beam is for coverage. Stealth Rock lays down the most important/broken hazard necessary, and Roar is there to pile up SR/Spikes damage and to phase out setup sweepers.

Walnut (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

all rise for the mandatory steel team member

No seriously though, Skarmory is so much of a boon to Steel teams it’s not even funny. It practically hardwalls Ground (barring Sp.Atk mons like Nidoking), and it’s one of the best physical walls one could ask for. It’s also my secondary phazer (geez i have doubles of everything), laying down spikes as it does.
Brave Bird is for STAB and taking care of Fighting types, Spikes is for laying down even MORE hazards (seriously this thing practically kills teams), Whirlwind phazes out dangerous setup sweepers, Roost is for reliable recovery.

Caliburn (Excadrill) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Pretty much checks every fire type. Excadrill works double duty as both a very fast spinner, and a scarfed, physical sweeper, outspeeding a lot of scarved mons that’d usually be a threat to Steel, such as Chandelure, Rotom-Wash, and Nidoking. It also doesn’t hurt that its typing makes it a good partner for Empoleon.
Earthquake is love. Earthquake is also the annihilator of entire teams, coming off of Exca’s high attack. Iron Head is there for secondary STAB. Rock Slide completes the EdgeQuake combo, letting Exca hit every Fire-type for at least SE damage. Rapid Spin is the only form of hazard removal on this team, but it’s near unstoppable.

Xavier (Metagross) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Agility

I’ll be honest, I had no idea what to do with the last team member. However, Metagross has been doing a pretty good job as a backup set-up sweeper. Weakness Policy deters people from firing SE moves at Metagross willy-nilly, and it’s hard to take Metagross down otherwise.
Meteor Mash is hnnng, having 90 base power and a chance to increase its already great attack further. Zen Headbutt is the obligatory STAB move. Earthquake is the best coverage move, taking care of other Steel types and Electric types. Agility boosts Metagross’s speed to ridiculous levels.

Known Threats:
- Scarved Fire types above 88 speed
- Volcarona

And there you have it. Feel free to suggest additions/removals/changes from my team. Do note that I probably won't take M-Scizor off my team, however. If you do have a better set for it, though, feel free!

Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top